ray yeung heirloom tomatoes
Heirloom Tomatoes from Ray Yeung Farm located in Yolo County have started! ‘Uncle Ray’ experienced a late start in harvesting due to inconsistent heat at the start of the summer. Ray Yeung tomatoes are highly praised by local chefs for their intense flavor, unique sizes, shapes, and colors. Ray’s tomatoes are ‘open-pollinated’- able to reproduce itself from seed. By definition, an heirloom tomato must have been introduced more than 50 years ago and have a history of its own- for example, the origin of the popular Brandywine tomato is credited to the Pennsylvania Amish community and is named for a local river. Yeung Farm has over two dozen varieties during the season, which usually runs from now through October.
We are pleased to offer the following with additional varieties to follow as they become available:
- Toy Box Case– 10# single layer case.
- Green Zebra– striped green/yellow skin with juicy green flesh; more tart flavor than other tomatoes. 10# single layer case.
- Carolina Gold– beautiful gold/orange skin and flesh; sweeter than red varieties. 10# single layer case.
- Pink Brandywine– lovely pinkish red skin and flesh; distinctive rich flavor; tends to be on the larger side. 10# single layer case.
- Cherokee Purple– deep red/purple skin with dark green shoulders; more acidic than sweet. 10# single layer case.
- Black Prince– known for its rich, sweet flavor and juiciness; very deep red skin with red/brown flesh. 10# single layer case.
- Shady Lady True Vine Ripe- perfect for sandwiches, burgers, soups, and sauces. 20# case.