new from twin peaks orchard
This week we are featuring two highly anticipated local crops- Satsuma Mandarins and Meyer Lemons from Twins Peaks Orchard (Newcastle, CA). Twin Peaks is a fifth generation family farm, established in 1912.
Satsuma Mandarins are a seedless, easy to peel mandarin with rich, tart-sweet flavor. Satsuma Mandarins thrive in the foothills of Placer County as both elevation and the pattern of cool nights contribute to a healthy crop. The first delivery of mandarins reveals an already ripe, sweet piece of fruit. We anticipate mandarins will remain available from now until early January. Available by the 25# case, or by the pound.
Meyer Lemons are a cross between a lemon and a mandarin. The Meyer is somewhat smaller than a regular lemon, rounder in shape, with smooth skin and a distinct taste as the flesh is much less acidic, making them sweeter than other varieties. The season runs from November through April and is off to an excellent start. Available in a 10# case, or by the pound.
Twin Peaks also has their treasured Amagaki Persimmons available. Amagaki Persimmons are a unique persimmon with many distinct and individual qualities– sweet, crisp or creamy, hints of cinnamon and cocoa. Some will be golden fleshed with brown flecks while others might be a dark, rich chocolaty brown that contributes both to the flavor and to the marketing of this fruit as ‘Cinnamon Persimmons’. Enjoy the harvest!
Kendall Farms Crème Fraiche is made from the cream of Holstein cows. The cream, which contains 40 percent butterfat, is pasteurized and then seeded with a starter culture, much the way yogurt or cheese is. It is the starter that creates the naturally sweet/nutty flavor and silky texture.
Many of you that use crème fraiche are familiar with its role as an accompaniment to caviar, smoked seafood, pureed soups or desserts. In addition, Crème Fraiche can be used in sauces, salad dressings, gratins, ice cream and cooked caramel sauce; it can even be whipped, like cream. Crème Fraiche is incredibly forgiving and is often used to thicken pan sauces and creamy vegetable dishes
Kendall Farms Crème Fraiche is all natural (no preservatives), and is locally made. Available in a 32oz container.
Honey, Fruit Spreads & Nut Butters
California Honeys, Fruit Spreads and Nut Butters from Z Specialty Foods are the perfect additions to cheese boards, tea service and more! Ishai Zeldner founded Z Specialty in 1980 after working as a beekeeper and attending UC Davis. His son, Josh, eventually took over the operations and Z Specialty Foods expanded their operations to a 9,000 square foot facility in Woodland, CA. The Zeldner family is committed to processing honey with zero waste, conserving non-renewable resources, and producing certified kosher products. The items offered by Produce Express are packaged under the Moonshine Trading Company label, one of three brands under Z Specialty.
Their Natural Honey is unheated, and unpasteurized, allowing the honey to retain all of its pollens and enzymes. Each honey is specific to a single floral source and geographic location contributing to their unique flavors, colors, and aromas. The following honeys are available in a 12# container:
- Local Wildflower Honey– light in color with subtle floral overtones.
- Yellow Star Thistle– a light honey with a sweet, candy-like flavor. Food & Wine Magazine declared this varietal the “Champagne of Honeys”. Perfect for baking.
- Orange Blossom– light in color with the sweet, floral scent of Southern California’s Orange Groves.
- California Pomegranate– thick, creamy, and smooth with a rare deep mahogany hue, from Central California’s Pomegranate Orchards.
- California Coriander– savory and rich with hints of spice and cardamom.
- Wildflower Honey Straws- 7 inch straw filled with Wildflower honey and heat sealed on both ends. Perfect for tea service. 125 count canister.
Honey Fruit Spreads are made with 50% all natural dried fruit and 50% creamed California honey. They are easily spreadable and work well on cheese plates, crostinis, marinades, ice cream, and more. The following are available in a 10# container:
- California Honey Apricot Spread– a sweet/tart blend of local Blenheim Apricots and creamed Yellow Star Thistle honey.
- Tart Cherry Honey Spread– tart Montmorency cherries blended with sweet honey. Beautiful deep red color.
- Apricot Cherry Honey Spread– local Apricots and Tart Cherries blended with honey. Balanced sweet/tart flavor.
Natural Nut Butters made with 100% nuts– no salt, sugar, or stabilizers- and are great for use in breakfast and brunch dishes, dressings and sauces, desserts, pastries, and more.
- California Almond Butter– roasted California almonds pureed to a creamy smooth spread.
- California Nut Crunch Butter– almonds, cashews and hazelnuts blended to a crunchy, sweet, rich, spread.