local green garlic
Organic Green Garlic is back from Riverdog Farm! Also known as Spring Garlic, green garlic is celebrated by chefs for its delicate flavor. Unlike mature garlic, Green Garlic bulbs are fresh (not dried) resulting in a more sweet, and less spicy, flavor profile. Green Garlic is excellent when used for soups, stocks, poaching liquids, broths, purees, and sauces. Available by the 10# case or by the pound. Riverdog Farms is a 450 acre, certified organic family farm located in Capay Valley, CA. Tim Mueller and Trini Campbell, along with their daughter, and over 100 employees, grow a variety of organic produce, nuts, grains, and raise chickens and pigs. The rich creek bottom soil and ideal climate results in nearly year round crops. Riverdog produce is ‘picked to order’ and delivered to our warehouse 2-3 times per week.
We are pleased to offer the following seasonal items from Riverdog Farm:
- Yellow Finn Potatoes– these are great all-purpose potatoes that are known for their yellow flesh, creamy texture, and buttery flavor that is sweeter than Yukon Golds. With the perfect balance of sugar and starch, Yellow Finn potatoes make excellent mashed potatoes, gratins, gnocchis, and salads. Available by the 25# case.
- King Richard Leeks– an heirloom variety known for its long white stalk and rich, round flavor. Leeks are a member of the onion family and are excellent when used in stocks, soups, stews, and braises, and are delicious when fried for garnishes. Available by the 12 bunch case ONLY.
Riverdog continues to harvest the following while the season lasts: Bloomsdale Spinach (4# case) • Dino Kale (12 bunch case) • Scarlett Queen Turnips (10# case) • Bunched Red Beets (12 bunch case) • Enjoy the harvest!
laura chenel & marin french cheese
Produce Express is proud to offer fresh, local cheeses from Laura Chenel and Marin French Cheese Company. Located in Sonoma county, both companies are well known and loved for their exceptional cheeses crafted in the tradition of European-style artisan cheesemaking. Join us for a special tasting of their cheeses on Tuesday, March 6 from 9am-12pm at our warehouse! We will be enjoying samples of some of our favorite classics, as well as testing out a few new cheeses. We offer the following cheeses:
- Laura Chenel Cabecou– aged, nutty-flavored goat cheese discs marinated with herbs in California extra virgin olive oil. 3.5# tub (not including the weight of oil/herbs).
- Laura Chenel Spicy Cabecou– marinated in extra virgin jalapeno olive oil and crushed chilies, adding balanced spice to the creamy and tart goat cheese discs. 3.5# tub (not including the weight of oil/herbs).
- Laura Chenel Tome– this French Tome style cheese exudes balanced notes of sweet caramel, salt, and fresh milk. 4# wheel.
- Marin French Triple Crème Brie- 75% butterfat creates a rich and ultra smooth texture, slightly sweet flavor and blooming with fluffy white rind. 8oz piece.
- Marin French Camembert– creamy texture and robust flavor with hints of mushrooms. Distinct from brie by the cultures used. 8oz piece.
dragon gourmet mushrooms
Dragon Gourmet Mushrooms, located in Sloughhouse, is a staple at local farmers markets and has been supplying Sacramento area restaurants since 2000. DGM offers a variety of mushrooms grown indoors using a very scientific method involving untreated hardwood sawdust and wheat or rice bran, controlled moisture, humidity, and temperature. No manure, supplements, herbicides, pesticides or any other additives are ever used. The founder of Dragon Gourmet, Ryker Walker, began his career as a bio-chemist who began growing mushrooms for their medicinal healing properties. We are proud to offer the following mushrooms from Dragon Gourmet Mushrooms:
- Oyster Mushrooms– fluted, scallop shaped, soft brown caps, with a delicate, sweet flavor and velvety texture. They are best when cooked as the stem is somewhat tough. 5# case.
- Beech Mushrooms– available in Brown or White. Quarter size caps with 2 to 3 inch white stems. They have a crunchy texture holds up to cooking and a hot sauté truly bring out their mild nutty flavor. 4# case.
- Shiitake Mushrooms– tan to dark brown with broad, umbrella shaped caps. They have a rich, earthy, umami flavor with a meaty, slightly chewy texture. 5# case.
- Eryngii Mushrooms– also known as King Trumpet and Trumpet Royale. They have a wonderful savory flavor, with a firm, meaty texture and are often used in place of wild mushrooms. Unlike many mushrooms, the stem has the same texture and flavor as the cap, which means you get 100% yield; no need to waste anything. The firm porcini like texture and savory richness shines with high heat cooking. 5# case.
- Lion’s Mane– these unique mushrooms are globular shaped and look somewhat like white pom-poms. Lion’s Mane have a crab like texture and a buttery flavor, making them a fantastic substitute in recipes calling for crab. Lion’s Mane is known for its nerve regenerative properties benefiting those suffering from disorders such as dementia and epilepsy. VERY LIMITED quantity of 5# cases.