local peppers & eggplant
We have lots of new seasonal items available this week from Riverdog Farms. Located in Capay Valley, the rich creek bottom soil and ideal climate results in large variety of year-round crops. Tim Mueller and Trini Campbell, along with their team, grow a variety of organic produce, nuts, and grains, as well as raise pigs and chickens.
- Jimmy Nardello Peppers- sweet and light when enjoyed raw; great frying pepper as its fruity raw flavor becomes creamy and soft when fried. Makes a gorgeous pepperonata, or delicious in pastas, pizzas, and risottos. 10# case.
- Gypsy Peppers– available in both yellow and colored; intense sweet flavor; perfect for stuffing. Enjoy raw or roast to enhance sweetness. 10# case.
- Shishito Peppers– sweet, thin skinned peppers commonly used as a starter dish; roast until blistered and season. While shishitos are mostly sweet, one in every ten is mildly hot. 5# case.
- Padron Peppers– small, crinkled green peppers that are sweet and mild with one in ten being spicy! Lively addition to pizzas, salads, soups, and rice dishes; or pan-fried, blistered, and served as a side. 5# case.
- Graffiti Eggplant– striking bicolor purple and white striped skin with white flesh. Excellent in pizzas, pastas, ragouts, gratins, and eggplant parmesan. 10# case
- Listada di Gandia– a specialty purple striped Italian heirloom variety with a classic egg shape. They are tender, smooth and creamy with a thinner skin than most Italian varieties. 10# case.
- Mixed Eggplant– 10# case
- Yellow Finn Potatoes– perfect balance of sugar and starch; makes delicious mashed potatoes, gratins, gnocchi, and salads. A great all-purpose potato with yellow flesh, creamy texture, and buttery flavor. 25# case.
- German Butterball Potatoes– russet-type with rich, golden, slightly flaky flesh. Luscious in any potato dish, regardless of its preparation. Excellent, long-term storability. 25# case.
Locals Melons & More
Ron Kelley Farms is a 25-acre farm along the Sacramento Delta growing over two dozen varieties of summer fruits and veggies. Ron has been farmed in the Delta for over 40 years.
- Mixed Melons– 5/6ct case
- Savor Melon– bright orange flesh, deep aroma and very sweet flavor. Excellent with prosciutto. 5/6ct case.
- Passport Melon– ‘Honeydew-type' melon with a light green/yellow rind and thick, sweet, light green flesh. 5/6ct case.
- Crème de la Crème Melon– creamy white flesh marbled with pale orange. The skin is orange/yellow and slightly netted. Deliciously fragrant and very sweet. 5/6ct case.
- Ambrosia Melon– exotic melon hybrid often confused with a cantaloupe, but it's quite different. Its flesh is very sweet, floral, tender and pale orange in color. 5/6ct case.
- Twice as Nice Melon– strong, pleasing aroma; distinct dark yellow rind; crisp white flesh with sweet, clean flavor and firm texture. 5/6ct case.
- San Juan Canary Melon- very fragrant with pale green to cream colored flesh, crisp and firm with delicate, sweet flavor. 5/6ct case.
- Black Eyed Peas and Purple Hulled Black Eyed Peas– 15# cases
heirloom tomatoes from ray yeung
Ray Yeung tomatoes are highly praised by local chefs for their intense flavor, unique sizes, shapes, and colors. Ray’s tomatoes are ‘open-pollinated’ and are able to reproduce itself from seed. By definition, an heirloom tomato must have been introduced more than 50 years ago and have a history of its own- for example, the origin of the popular Brandywine tomato is credited to the Pennsylvania Amish community and is named for a local river. Yeung Farm has over two dozen varieties during the season, which usually runs from now through October. We are pleased to offer the following:
- Toy Box Case– 10# single layer case.
- Pineapple- A large, golden-orange beefsteak heirloom tomato often with red stripes with a luscious, very rich, sweet pineapple like flavor. 10# case.
- Black Pineapple– bright green flesh with deep red streaks; its flavor is both sweet and smoky with a hint of citrus.
- Patty’s Striped Beefsteak– deep orange skin streaked with thing red stripes with beautiful orange/red marbled flesh. 10# case.
- Green Zebra– striped green/yellow skin with juicy green flesh; more tart flavor than other tomatoes. 10# single layer case.
- Black Zebra– beautiful mahogany flesh with purple/mahogany skin with deep green steaks. Its flavor is rich and complex with hints of smoke and sweetness. 10# case.
- Giant Black Zebra– 10# case
- Evergreen– strong sweet flavor with tender green flesh. 10# case.
- Carolina Gold– beautiful gold/orange skin and flesh; sweeter than red varieties. 10# single layer case.
- Pink Brandywine– lovely pinkish red skin and flesh; distinctive rich flavor; tends to be on the larger side. 10# single layer case.
- Cherokee Purple– deep red/purple skin with dark green shoulders; more acidic than sweet. 10# single layer case.
- Black Prince– known for its rich, sweet flavor and juiciness; very deep red skin with red/brown flesh. 10# single layer case.
- Shady Lady True Vine Ripe- perfect for sandwiches, burgers, soups, and sauces. 20# case.