larsen apple update
Our local apple season continues with several new varieties available from Larsen Apple Barn, located in Camino, CA. Larsen Apple Barn was founded in the 1860’s by the Larsen family and continues to be the oldest, continuously family-owned farm in Apple Hill. We are pleased to offer the following varieties:
- Winesap *NEW*- dark red, firm skin and a crisp, very juicy flesh with a creamy yellow hue. Their moistness and sweet/tart flavor is reminiscent of spiced wine and is perfect for cider, sauces, juice and preserves. The firm texture also makes Winesaps great for baking, sautéing, and roasting. Available by the 40# case.
- Pippin *NEW*- light green to yellow skin with creamy white flesh. Its flavor is sweet/tart balanced with a slight spice. Its crisp, firm flesh make Pippins great for pies, tarts, and turnovers. Available in a 40# case.
- Fuji *NEW*- medium to large sized apple with thick skin that is light red with a yellow blush. Its flesh is creamy white, dense, juicy and crisp. Its subtle sweet flavor pairs well with sharp cheeses, and its dense flesh holds up well when cooked. Available in a 40# case.
- Braeburn *NEW*- an all-purpose apple with a spicy sweet/tart flavor that holds hints of nutmeg and cinnamon. Its skin is reddish in a yellow to light green background with pale cream to golden yellow flesh. Available in a 40# case.
- We continue to offer Granny Smith, Rome, Golden Delicious, and Jonathan in 40# cases and Gala in 10# or 40# cases.
riverdog bloomsdale spinach is back!
Riverdog Farms now has high quality, organic Bloomsdale Spinach. Bloomsdale is a classic heirloom variety known as a savoy type of spinach. The leaves are thick, glossy, dark green and slightly curled. Bloomsdale spinach is very flavorful and is harvested with the edible stem attached to the leaves-you need not remove it. It grows well in the spring and fall and will last until the first hard frost. The leaf size does grow as the season progresses- the smaller leaf may be used in salads or for a quick sauté, while the larger, late season leaves might be best suited for sauté, soups, gratins and “wilted” spinach salads. Spinach is legendary when it comes to health benefits- it aids in cholesterol reduction and helps build a stronger body. Bloomsdale spinach has an excellent shelf life, lasting 3-5 days with very little breakdown of leaves or loss of flavor. Sold by the 4# case.
fall farmer's market
Our annual Fall Farmer’s Market is just around the corner and you do not want to miss it! We host these farmer’s markets to highlight the bounty of the season and to strengthen the relationship between our farmers and chefs. Everyone in the industry is invited so please spread the word! We will have some awesome free raffle prizes from MAC Knives, Stagger Lee Goods, Excalibur Dehydrator, and gift cards to participating restaurants! Plus, there will be a ramen noodle making demonstration by Origami Asian Grill, and more!
|Thank you to the following participating restaurant partners:|
|Tap & Vine||Nixtaco|
|Carpe Vino||Alaro Brewing|
|Zocalo||Origami Asian Grill|
|Pizza Supreme Being||Adamo's|
|The Grid||Seasons Davis|
|Taste||River City Brewing|
|Brickyard||Smokey Oaks Tavern|
|Bella Bru||Rudolph Steiner College|
A special thank you to our participating farms and purveyors for all their hard work to provide our chefs with great produce:
|Del Rio Botanical||Twin Peaks Orchard|
|Ray Yeung Farm||Riverdog Farm|
|Full Belly Farm||DiNapoli Tomatoes|
|Orland Farmstead Creamery||Paradiso Tomatoes|
|Sierra Nevada Cheese Co.||Casa Sanchez|
|Fiscalini Cheese||Tampico Spice|
|Nicolau Farms||Queso Salazar|
|Sparrow Lane Vinegars||Mi Rancho Tortillas|
|Paragary Bakery||Premier Mushrooms|
|Z Specialty Foods||Nippon Shokken|
|California Olive Ranch||Hodo Soy Tofu|
|Nuthouse Granola||Sacramento Spouting Company|
|Elegant Beans & Beyond||Produce Alive|
|California Endive Farm||Pure Rice First|
|Early Bird Farm||Barsotti Juice Co.|