‘Tis the season to be festive and flavorful when creating holiday menus and this week we are offering several varieties of seasonal MicroGreens to enhance the presentation of these dishes. Fresh Origins, a small family farm located in northern San Diego County, is our source for these exceptionally fresh and flavorful varieties. MicroGreens are a tiny form of edible greens produced from the seeds of vegetables, herbs and other plants. They range in size from one to two inches long, including stem and leaves. As a result of specific growing procedures, MicroGreens can have surprisingly intense flavors considering their small size. MicroGreens are used primarily as a garnish for appetizers, soups, entrees and desserts and are often indicative of a primary ingredient or two of the dish and the flavor and appearance adds a distinct quality to the chef’s intentions. The following varieties are now available:
- Micro Basil Nutmeg-Appealing bright green leaves that release the fragrance of both the herb and the spice.
- Micro Radish Ruby-Dark purple leaves on matching colored stems with spicy radish flavor.
- Micro Tangerine Lace-Feathery green leaves with tangerine zest flavor.
- Micro Brussel Sprouts-Small, loose leaves similar in appearance to the mature brussel sprout, milder and sweeter in flavor.
- Micro Citrus Mix-Mixture of strong citrus flavored herbs including Lemon and Mint Basils, Sorrel and Tangerine Lace.
- Micro Mirepoix-Carrots, Onions and Celery, the traditional base for French cooking known as mirepoix available as a MicroGreen with distinct flavor of each-amazing.
- Sweet Spice Mix-Colorful and flavorful mix of sweet herbs and spices including cinnamon, clove, lemon, nutmeg, lavender and mint. A perfect garnish for sorbet, ice creams and gelatos.
- Fresh Origins MicroGreens-4oz.-$11.75