LOCAL MELONS FROM R. KELLEY FARM
This week we are receiving several varieties of Heirloom Melons from Ron Kelley Farms, located outside the town of Freeport in the Sacramento Delta. Ron has been involved in Delta farming for over 40 years and serves as an agricultural consultant for a large seed company. Ron Kelley Farms has a 25 acre farm that grows over two dozen varieties of summer fruits and vegetables. The melons are packed in a single layer case and offered by the individual variety or Mixed Case (7-8 melons per case).
- Savor– one of several types of Charentais melon, a French heirloom variety. Savor is a small plump melon, weighing 2#. It has bright orange flesh, a deep aroma and very sweet in flavor. Savor is the melon most often served with prosciutto in Europe. 6-8ct case.
- Passport– a Passport melon is a green-fleshed ‘Honeydew-type' melon with a rind that turns light green or pale yellow when ripe. The thick, sweet flesh is light green-almost white towards the seed cavity. It has a smooth flavor and fresh aroma. Available by the 20# case.
- Crème de la Crème– not a cantaloupe, honeydew or muskmelon, there is simply no other melon like this one. The skin is orange-yellow and lightly netted. Inside, the fruit is creamy white, enticingly marbled with pale orange. It's deliciously fragrant, very sweet and slightly spicy. 6-8ct case.
- Ambrosia– an exotic melon hybrid that might be confused with a cantaloupe, but it's quite different. Its flesh is very sweet, floral, tender and pale orange in color.
- Twice as Nice– a canary melon, known for its strong and pleasing aroma with a distinct dark yellow rind. It has crisp white flesh with sweet, clean flavor and firm texture. 6-8ct case.
Join us for a tour of the Sacramento Delta with stops at R. Kelley Farm, Stillwater Orchard, and California Endive on September 6! Enjoy the harvest!
LOCAL PEARS FROM STILLWATER ORCHARD
Stillwater Orchard is a long established farm next to the Sacramento River in the town of Courtland. The region is known to produce some of the best pears in the world. The Bartlett pear is the nation’s leading pear variety and counts for 75% of the California harvest. We are currently offering two varieties from Stillwater Orchards with other varieties soon to follow in the coming weeks:
- Delta Bartletts are classic summer pears- sweet and juicy with buttery flesh and distinct aroma. 40#case or pound.
- Stark Crimson– this colorful red pear has the same characteristics as the Bartlett. When fully ripe, the skin is at its brightest. 20# case or pound.
YOLO COUNTY ORGANIC FARMS TOUR &
MORE FARM-TO-FORK EVENTS
Thank you to everyone who participated in, or attended, our recent Farmer's Market, Heirloom Tomato Tasting, and Women's Day. We love spending the day with you all celebrating local farmers, growers, suppliers, and chefs that make Sacramento America’s Farm-to-Fork Capital. Check out pictures of our recent events on our Facebook page.
The fun continues witha bus tour to three prominent Organic Yolo County Farms- Del Rio Botanical, Riverdog Farm, and Full Belly Farm- on Wednesday, August 2. We will meet at the Produce Express warehouse located at 8340 Belvedere Ave, Sacramento, CA 95826 and leave promptly at 9am, returning by 3pm.
We will also host the following events throughout the summer:
- Fork to Cork– Wednesday, August 9– a bus tour to Dragon Gourmet Mushrooms, Rancho Murierra Country Club, and Meadlowlands Restaurant. Appetizers featuring Dragon Gourmet Mushrooms will be served at Rancho Murieta Country Club followed by a 3-course lunch and wine pairings at prepared by Chef Danny Origel at Meadowlands Restaurant.
- Foothill Hops to Crops- Monday, August 14- a bus tour to Twin Peaks Orchard followed by lunch and beer tasting at Loomis Basin Smokehouse.
- San Joaquin Tour– Wednesday, August 23- a bus tour to Fiscalini Cheese Company, Sparrow Lane Vinegars, and Nicalou Cheese.
- Jim Mills Retirement Party at Del Rio Botanical- Sunday, August 27 from 11am-2pm.
- Sonoma County Cheese Tour– a bus tour to Cowgirl Creamery and Tomales Bay Foods for a tasting of their complete line. (Date TBD)
- Delta Tour- Ron Kelly U-Pick Farm, Stillwater Orchard, California Endive Farms (Date TBD)