Vega Farms, located in Davis, CA, has been raising chickens since the early 90’s and has been selling their brown eggs at the Davis Farmers Market ever since. The chickens are never fed low quality ingredients and they never use hormones, antibiotics, animal by-products or additives of any kind. Their chicks are comfortable and well-cared for, which translates to better egg production and overall efficiency. Vega provides their baby chicks to local farms such as Riverdog Farm and Full Belly Farm for use as layers and meat birds, as well as larger producers in the Sacramento Valley which take 20,000 or more each week for specialty meat markets.
We are pleased to offer Local Cage Free and Local Free Range Organic Eggs from Vega Farms. (Please specify Vega when ordering)
- Local Cage Free Eggs sold by the case (15 dozen).
- Local Organic Free Range Eggs-The hens have access to the outdoors and get to forage and exercise on green pasture. They are fed a supplemental diet of organic feed free of GMOs. Sold by the case (15 dozen).
In addition to the eggs produced by Vega Farms, we also carry eggs produced by Hi Desert in Southern California-
- Large Loose Eggs (15 dozen),
- XLG Loose Eggs (15 dozen),
- Cage Free Eggs (15 dozen), and
- Organic Eggs produced outside of California, sold by the 15 dozen case or 1 dozen carton.
This week we are offering local Blood Oranges from Twin Peaks Orchard, located in Newcastle, CA. Twin Peaks has an established presence in our warehouse as they supply us with a variety of stone fruit in the summer, persimmons in early winter and citrus in late winter and early spring. Twin Peaks employs principles of sustainable farming to maintain their extensive varieties of fruit trees. Blood Oranges are characterized with an interesting and complex flavor when compared to other oranges. The juice is tart and rich with a hint of raspberry and less acidic than regular oranges. Early season Blood oranges have orange flesh with reddish veins and, as the season progress, the flavor intensifies as the flesh eventually turns to a vivid crimson color. The degree of coloration in both flesh and skin depends on light, temperature and variety. Moro and Tarocco are the two varieties most common to our market and the Moro variety is more popular as the season is longer and the distinctive color more prevalent. 25# case also available by the pound.
dinapoli canned tomatoes
Local Heirloom and True Vine Ripe Tomatoes have been out of season for a while now so we’d like to remind you of another option to consider when using tomatoes in the “off-season”-DiNapoli Canned Tomatoes. Based locally, in Modesto, CA. the DiNapoli family has over 60 years of tomato processing experience. All of the tomatoes used by DiNapoli are vine-ripened, fresh picked, California tomatoes and the primary variety is the San Marzano Style Plum tomato. DiNapoli tomato products are characterized by deep red color, soft fragile texture and a sweet natural taste.
We are pleased to offer local DiNapoli tomato products to you. All products are packed 6/#10 cans per case.
- San Marzano Style Plum Tomatoes-Whole peeled in natural juice.
- Diced Tomatoes-Peeled tomatoes diced to a cube, holds shape during cooking.
- Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes-Blackened and flavorful.
- Ground Tomatoes in Puree-50% chunky ground, vine ripened, peeled tomatoes, 50% fresh pack tomato puree.
- Tomato Sauce-Whole peeled plum tomatoes, seasoned, cooked and strained to create a rich, flavorful sauce.
- Tomato Paste-Whole peeled tomatoes cooked and reduced to a rich red concentrate. Adds thickness and body to soups and sauces.
- Tomato Puree-(Extra Heavy) Whole peeled tomatoes, briefly cooked and strained to a thick liquid.
- Marinara Sauce-Perfect for pastas.
- Simply Red Diced Tomatoes-Uncooked, peeled, diced tomatoes.
- Peeled Tomato Strips-Strips of Peeled San Marzano style tomatoes in light puree.
- Tomato Catsup/Ketchup-Sweet and tangy.