After a long, wet winter, many springtime crops are now appearing in the marketplace, and we are offering a variety of local and seasonal items.
- Artisan Lettuce Mix– a variety of mixed local lettuces, greenhouse grown at Maciel Farms, 24 count
- Green Garlic– Riverdog Farms, 10# case or by the pound
- Savoy/Bloomsdale Spinach– several sources, 4#
- King Richard Leeks– Riverdog Farms, 12 bunch
- Spring Onion (red and white)– Riverdog Farms, 10#
- Asparagus– California grass, 28# case. We expect very limited quantities of Delta asparagus within the next week.
- Arugula Rapini– heartier than regular arugula, Del Rio Botanical, 2#
- Red Mustard Frisee– Del Rio Botanical, 2#
- Ramps– a seasonal and scarce crop arriving from Mississippi, this “wild leek” tastes like a balanced mix of onions and garlic, available by the pound.
- Sausalito Springs Watercress- living and organic, 2#.
- Fiddlehead Fern- the young shoots of the fern are tightly wound into a circular button-like shape, with a crunchy texture with a slightly gelatinous flesh, and a flavor comparable to asparagus and green beans. Coming from the Northwest, 5# case.
- English Peas– first of California crop, available by the pound. We expect coastal crops to be available the first week of April.
- Fava Beans– 25# case, from Mexico, coastal crops the first week of April.
Enjoy the harvest!
In addition to the religious observances associated with the upcoming Easter Holiday, there are several other symbols connected to this event, namely Easter Egg Hunts, Hot Cross Buns, baskets of various candies and carrot eating bunnies. Carrots are root vegetables- underground plant parts that contribute a substantial yield to year round vegetable crops. Carrots are sweet and rich in flavor and loaded with essential vitamins for good health.
In addition to ‘a sack of carrots’ the following are available:
- Nantes Carrots– from Capay Organics, 24 bunch.
- Iced Bunched Carrots– best quality and flavor, medium size, with tops, 24 bunch.
- Rainbow Carrots- 25#.
- Baby Orange Carrots- 24 bunch.
- Baby Red Carrots– requires a 24 hour pre-order, 24 bunch.
- Baby White Carrots– also requires a 24-hour pre-order, 24 bunch.
- Baby Mixed Carrots– a variety of colors, 24 bunch.
- Peeled Baby Carrots- 5#.
- Peeled Mixed Baby Carrots- 5#.
- Baby Round Carrots– ‘Thumbelina’, 24 bunch.
FISCALINI FARMSTEAD CHEESE
The Fiscalini’s immigrated from Switzerland in 1912 and settled on 160 acres in Modesto where they have farmed since. Four generations later their farm has grown to include 540 acres, a herd of 2,800 dairy cows, and a farmstead cheese processing plant. Unlike the original Fiscalini land that supported a single-family home, today you will find the homes of 3 generations scattered across their property. All of their craftsman cheeses are made by hand using the milk from the cattle they raise.
We are pleased to offer the following Fiscalini Cheddars:
- San Joaquin Gold- an Italian style cheddar, aged 12 months. The cheese is mildly sweet and mellow when young, and develops a darker golden hue and nuttier flavor over time. Its flesh is firm and granular with hints of toasted nuts and browned butter with a pleasant acidity and sweetness, 7# piece $91.75.
- Lionza– a Swiss style cheese named after the tiny village high in the Swiss Alps that the Fiscalinis called home for more than 300 years. They age this cheese six months. It is lightly straw colored with a few irregular eyes. It has a thin natural rind, a sweet milk caramel-like flavor, and a semi-soft texture, 6# piece $75.75.
- Smoked Cheddar– their traditional award winning cheddar is smoked using a blend of local apple, cherry, and hickory wood chips to create a natural smoke that saturates the cheese. This cheese even has distinct markings left behind from the racks of the smoker and an enchanting caramel color, 5# piece $50.75.