frog hollow apricots
The much anticipated wait for local apricots from Frog Hollow is finally over, but the season won’t last long! Frog Hollow Farm is a 143-acre organic farm located in Brentwood, CA, famous for their flavorful apricots. While their typical harvest begins in mid-May, the first harvest of this season is a few weeks behind due to a wet winter causing Farmer Al to lose five early season varieties.
Produce Express will have the Golden Sweet variety available for the next 2-3 weeks in 10# cases for $34.75. The Golden Sweet is a smaller apricot making up for whatever it lacks in size with its rich flavor. A California born and bred variety, it has a brilliant golden orange skin with a soft blush. Golden Sweets are great for baking, cheese plates, sauces and glazes. Frog Hollow bakes pastries featuring other varieties, but the Golden Sweet is their variety of choice for their best-selling apricot conserve.
One of the reasons for the intense flavor of Frog Hollow apricots is Farmer Al’s soil that he enriches with seaweed, fish, limestone, and compost. The farm has its own compost piles which are made up from clippings and scraps discarded from the orchard or farm kitchen, and damaged fruit that has fallen from the limb. Frog Hollow does not use synthetic fertilizers or pesticides.
Fun Fact: The late Steve Jobs loved Farmer Al’s apricots! Enjoy the harvest while it lasts!
twin peaks peaches and nectarines
Twin Peaks Orchard is overflowing with the juiciest and flavorful peaches and nectarines! This week’s harvest will offer the following varieties available by the 18# case, or by the pound:
- Springcrest Yellow Peach– an early-ripening, freestone peach with good flavor, a nice round shape, medium size, and fair color with more red than yellow skin and very little fuzz.
- Manon White Peach– firm and semi-freestone with excellent low-acid flavor. It is a medium sized variety that is completely red-skinned.
- Zee Fire Yellow Nectarine– a clingstone variety with about 85% red skin and great flavor.
- Turquoise White Nectarine– a freestone variety with beautiful red and cream colored skin with crisp white flesh. It has an wonderful acid/sugar balance and complex flavor.
We are excited to invite you to a summer full of Farm-to-Fork events! Join us to kick off the festivities at our annual summer Farmer’s Market on Wednesday, July 12 from 10am-2pm. We throw this event every year to give our customers the opportunity to get to know the growers and vendors that provide us with fresh, local crops and products throughout the year. Taste the farm-to-fork difference with delicious bites made by local chefs paired with a local farm or vendor. If you are interested in participating as one of the featured restaurants or chefs, please contact inside sales at (916) 956-5536, or your sales rep, for more information.
Leading up to Visit Sacramento’s Farm-to-Fork Festival and Tower Bridge dinner, we will also host the following events and tours throughout the summer:
- Heirloom Tomato Tasting featuring tomatoes from “Uncle” Ray Yeusummng on July 18 at Paragary’s Midtown patio.
- Women’s Day: Baker’s Delight at Twin Peaks Orchard on July 26 with a guest panel featuring local women bakers Nena Rasul from Bacon & Butter, Laurel Saunders from Paragary Bakery, Teresa Urfosky from American River College, and more
Dates for the following events will be announced soon:
- Del Rio Botanicals & Premier Mushrooms
- Fork-to-Cork at Rancho Murietta Golf Course featuring Dragon Gourmet Mushrooms with lunch at Meadowlands
- Foothill Hops-to-Crops at Loomis Basin Smokehouse with Balloon Melons and Twin Peaks Orchard
- Delta Tour featuring Ron Kelly U-Pick Farm, Stillwater Orchard, and California Endive Farms
- Fiscalini Cheese, Sparrow Lane Vinegars, and Nicolau Farm
- Yolo County Tour at Riverdog Farms and Full Belly Farms
- Sonoma Cheese Tour at Marin French and Point Reyes Farmstead
- County Line Harvest in Sonoma
We looking forward to spending the summer with you!