California’s excellent climate and soil produces the most delectable figs. This unique fruit is lusciously sweet with a distinct texture that combines the chewiness of their flesh, the smoothness of their skin, and the crunchiness of their seeds. Figs range dramatically in color and subtly in texture depending on the variety. This week we are happy to receive the first harvest from Windmill Farm in Woodland, CA.
While the season lasts we will offer the following varieties:
- Black Mission– sweet, syrupy flavor with soft, blackish/purple skin and delicate, dark pink colored flesh. Pairs delightfully with tangy cheeses like mascarpone or Fromage blanc. Available by the 12-pint case, or by the pint.
- Kadota– a less sweet variety with light green skin and light pink/purple flesh. They also take well to being heated so they are delicious on a pizza and are great for stuffing. Available by the 6-pint case.
- Violette de Bordeaux– widely regarded as the best tasting fig variety with a rich sweet flavor comparable to molasses strawberry jam. They have glossy, deep purple skin with beautiful deep red flesh. Available by the 6-pint case. We also have Organic Black Mission Figs available from Del Rio Botanical in West Sacramento available by the 12-pint case.
twin peaks gold dust peaches
The San Francisco Chronicle recently published an article about Gold Dust Peaches, a unique heirloom variety that was made popular in California by Masumoto Family Farm. While top restaurants like Chez Panisse have served the rare peach, the Gold Dust variety can be hard to find, but Produce Express has them! We are proud to offer delightful Gold Dust peaches from Twin Peaks Orchard in Newcastle, CA. Gold Dust peaches are a free stone variety that are incredibly juicy with the perfect balance of sweet and tart. They are on the smaller side but their intense flavor is proof that good things come in small packages. Gold Dust peaches are delicate and soft with skin that peels easily. We recommend using them soon after receiving as they ripen quickly. Twin Peaks offers limited availability of Gold Dust Peaches in a 18# case. We have several varieties of Twin Peaks peaches in our warehouse so please specify “Gold Dust Peaches” if you would like this variety. As stone fruit season progresses, we will only be offering free stone varieties since cling stone varieties are done after this week. Enjoy the harvest!
You are invited to a summer full of Farm-to-Fork events! Join us to kick off the festivities and enjoy a taste of the Sacramento bounty at our annual summer Farmer’s Market on Wednesday, July 12 from 10am-2pm. We will feature dozens of local farms, growers, and suppliers teamed up with local chefs to prepare delicious bites highlighting the best local harvests and ingredients sold by Produce Express. This is a great opportunity to talk with farmers and vendors directly and discover new items. We encourage you to take advantage of this event by inviting your staff to come out and learn more about the ingredients that you prepare and serve every day. Did we mention there will be awesome raffle prizes? If you would like to participate as a featured chef or restaurant, please contact inside sales at (916) 956-5536, or your sales rep, for more information.
You do not want to miss the following tours that we have planned for the summer!
- Heirloom Tomato Tasting– Tuesday, July 18 featuring “Uncle” Ray Yeung
- Women’s Day “Baker’s Delight” at Twin Peaks Orchard– Wednesday, July 26 featuring a panel of talented women bakers including Nena Rasul of Bacon & Butter, Laurel Sanders Melchor of Paragary Bakery, Teresa Urkofsky from American River College
- Organic Yolo County Trio– Wednesday, August 2 at Del Rio Botanical, Riverdog Farm, Full Belly Farm
- Fork to Cork– Wednesday, August 9 tour of Dragon Gourmet Mushrooms with lunch and wine tastings at Rancho Murieta Country Club and Meadowlands Restaurant
- Foothill Hops to Crops- Monday, August 14 at Twin Peaks Orchard followed by lunch and beer tasting at Loomis Basin Smokehouse
- Specialty Cheese Tour and Tasting– at Marin French Cheese and Point Reyes Farmstead
- Delta Tour- Ron Kelly U-Pick Farm, Stillwater Orchard, California Endive Farms
- Cheese & Vinegar– featuring Fiscalini Cheese Company and Sparrow Lane Vinegars