del rio botanical summer harvest
For 15 years, we have partnered with Del Rio Botanical to offer unique and delicious organic produce grown exclusively for Produce Express. Del Rio is an 80-acre farm located in West Sacramento along the Sacramento River. A collection of over 1,600 varieties of vegetable and herb seeds places Del Rio in the unique position to provide a selection of produce that is varied, rare and targeted to restaurants.
Their summer harvest includes the following:
- Mixed Heirloom Tomatoes– over a dozen varieties of classic heirlooms packed ‘Toy Box” style. Varietals may include Brandywine, Black Prince, Yellow Roma, Marvel Stripe, Green Zebra, and more. Packed by the 10# case.
- Mixed Medley– heirloom cherry tomatoes each with a distinct size, shape and flavor. Flavors range from candy sweet (high sugar) to a concentrated tomato flavor (more acidic). During the course of the season over two dozen varieties are grown. Our customers can expect 6-8 varieties, packed in a 12 pint case.
- Black Mission Figs– great for grilling. Limited availability. Sold by the pint.
- Baby Mixed Squash(2-3” in size/diameter) packed in a 10# case, or Teenage Mixed Squash (3-5” in size/diameter) packed in a 20# case. All varieties have tender skin, firm flesh (the seeds have yet to develop), and good squash flavor.
- Squash Blossoms– small and sweet flowers that grow on summer squash. They are delicious chopped raw, or sautéed and added to soups, salads, enchiladas, tacos, risotto, pasta dishes; or stuffed with corn, chilies or mild cheeses, dipped in batter and fried in oil to create an elaborate appetizer. 35 count case. Enjoy the harvest!
The popularity of finger limes has risen dramatically over the past couple of years, mainly because of their intense flavor, as well as their fun & versatile presentation on various dishes. We now have Finger Limes from Shanley Farms located in the Central Valley. Finger Limes are a small 2 inch oval shaped greenish-black fruit. The limes are sometimes called ‘citrus caviar’, though botanically they are not part of the citrus family. When cut open, the interior pulp has a caviar like appearance and lemon-lime flavor with ‘pop rock’ texture. Squeezing the skin releases hundreds of tiny balls of juicy, edible bubbles that literally burst between your teeth. Finger limes offer an explosive burst of flavor and unique texture that pairs well with raw oysters, sushi, seafood dishes, desserts, and cocktails. Available by the ½ pint clamshells, 25-30 pieces each.
Our annual summer Farmer’s Market is on Wednesday, July 12 from 10am-2pm! We throw this event to celebrate farm-to-fork and give our customers the chance to meet dozens of local farmers, growers, and vendors. We team them up with local chefs to prepare delicious bites highlighting the best local produce and products sold by Produce Express. We encourage you to invite your staff to attend and learn about the ingredients you serve daily. Everyone who attends will be entered to win some awesome raffle prizes including CSA boxes from Del Rio Botanical, Full Belly Farm, and Riverdog Farm; plus MAC knives, Rivercats Legacy Club & Game Tickets, dozens of restaurant gift cards, and more! Click here for more details about the farmer's market, and our summer farm tours and events!
We are proud to feature the following farms, vendors, restaurants:
|Ray Yeung Farms||Sierra Nevada Cheese Co.||Mulvaney's B&L|
|County Line Harvest||Cordillera Chocolates||Waterboy|
|R Farm Microgreens||Amazon Planet Acai||Magpie|
|Twin Peaks Orchard||NutHouse Granola||Amaro|
|Riverdog Farms||Marin French Cheese||Bacon & Butter|
|Elegant Bean||Clover Sonoma||Karen's Bakery|
|Premier Mushrooms||Casa Sanchez||Canon|
|Vierra Farm||Orland Farmstead Creamery||Legends/Golden 1 Center|
|Del Rio Botanical||Sparrow Lane Vinegars||Sizzling Fresh Mongolian BBQ|
|Dwelley Family Farms||Nippon Shokken||Devine Gelateria|
|Grass Valley Grains||Hodo Soy||Kru|
|Dragon Gourmet Mushrooms||Santa Fe Madrid Tortillas||Ella Dining Room & Bar|
|Ron Kelly U-Pick Farm||Point Reyes Farmstead Cheese||OBO' Italian Table & Bar|
|Full Belly Farm||Cowgirl Creamery||Paragary Bakery|
|Farmer's Market Produce||Fiscalini Cheese Co.||Pizza Supreme Being|
|Maciel Farms||Nicolau Cheese||Chocolate Fish Coffee Roasters|
|Tampico Spice||La Cosecha|
|DiNapoli Tomatoes||Cibo 7|
|Beach Hut Deli|
|Flour Dust Pizza|
|Bella Bru Cafe|
|Kupros Craft House|
|Hook & Ladder|
Plus, you do not want to miss the following events that we have planned for the summer!
- Heirloom Tomato Tasting– Tuesday, July 18 featuring “Uncle” Ray Yeung
- Women’s Day “Baker’s Delight” at Twin Peaks Orchard– Wednesday, July 26 featuring a panel of talented women bakers including Nena Rasul of Bacon & Butter, Laurel Sanders Melchor of Paragary Bakery, Teresa Urkofsky from American River College
- Organic Yolo County Trio– Wednesday, August 2 at Del Rio Botanical, Riverdog Farm, Full Belly Farm
- Fork to Cork– Wednesday, August 9 tour of Dragon Gourmet Mushrooms with lunch and wine tastings at Rancho Murieta Country Club and Meadowlands Restaurant
- Foothill Hops to Crops- Monday, August 14 at Twin Peaks Orchard followed by lunch and beer tasting at Loomis Basin Smokehouse
- Specialty Cheese Tour and Tasting– at Marin French Cheese and Point Reyes Farmstead
- Delta Tour- Ron Kelly U-Pick Farm, Stillwater Orchard, California Endive Farms
- Cheese & Vinegar– featuring Fiscalini Cheese Company and Sparrow Lane Vinegars