sparrow lane seasonal vinegars
Produce Express carries a full line of vinegars from Sparrow Lane, based in Modesto, CA. Sparrow Lane uses wine grapes from Northern California to create their true-to-type varietal vinegars. We carry the following sold by the gallon:
- California Citrus– light & crisp flavor. California orange, lemon, & lime with barrel aged Chardonnay.
- White Wine Vinegar– slight golden color, smooth, crisp, and clean.
- Red Wine Vinegar– dark red color, robust and full bodied.
- Cabernet Vinegar– ruby red color, lush and full bodied.
- Champagne Vinegar– delicate, crisp and fresh, with classic color of champagne.
- Zinfandel Vinegar– deep red in color, old vine flavors with plenty of pepper, spice, and slight port overtones.
- Sherry Vinegar– deep caramel color, smooth and assertive crisp deep oak flavor.
- Gravenstein Apple Vinegar– fresh Sebastopol apples give this rich golden colored vinegar a crisp zing.
- Golden Balsamic Vinegar– honey colored with slight floral tones of the sweet Muscat grape.
- Dark Balsamic Vinegar– rich, dark chestnut color with slightly sweet silky hints of caramel.
- D’Anjou Pear Vinegar– light yellow color with a luscious crisp pear flavor.
- Pear Raspberry Vinegar– dark rose color, bright, and slightly sweet with tastes of sweet pears and luscious raspberries.
- Mango Vinegar– sweet white wine married with distinctive orange-peach flavor of fresh mango juice give this light amber colored vinegar a unique refreshing flavor.
- Rice Vinegar– made from locally grown Lundberg Farms, non-GMO rice. The rice is made into Sparrow Lane’s proprietary sake using traditional brewing techniques in the new Nippon Shokken plant in West Sacramento. Then the sake is turned into rice wine vinegar at their facility in Modesto.
Join us to visit their facilities on August 23!
nicolau artisan cheeses
It takes quality milk to make quality cheese, and the family of Nicolau Farms has been doing just that since the early 1900’s. Their farm is located in the fertile San Joaquin Valley, allowing them to produce some of the finest farmstead cheeses. Nicolau uses an older method of pasteurization that does not impart a cooked flavor on the milk. We hope you can join us for a tour of Nicolau Farms to see their cheese making process on Wednesday, August 23. We are proud to offer the following artisan cheeses:
- Black Truffle Casiago– robust flavors of black truffle flow throughout this mixed milk cheese. Distinguishing notes of Italian black truffle combine beautifully with buttery cows milk & rich goats milk in this semi–hard Asiago style cheese aged 45-90 days. 6-7# wheel.
- Capra Stanislaus– their flagship cheese is firm, dense, and slightly salty, with notes of goat’s milk caramel and a toasted, nutty-olive finish from the sea salt brine. This hard cheese is aged 2-4 months and is the perfect balance of creamy and dry. 5-6# wheel.
- Quatro Pepe– this hard, aged cheese has a pale ivory body studded with “Quatro” peppercorns- black, white, pink, and green. Notes of sweet and creamy goat milk blend beautifully with burst of intense and savory peppercorns creating the perfect balance of salt and pepper. 5-6# wheel. Enjoy!
more farm-to-fork celebrations
Thank you to everyone who participated in, or attended, our recent Farmer's Market, tastings, and bus tours. We love spending the day with you all celebrating local farmers, growers, suppliers, and chefs that make Sacramento America’s Farm-to-Fork Capital. Check out pictures of our recent events on our Facebook page.
The fun continues with Foothill Hops-to-Crops on Monday, August 14! We will meet at the Produce Express warehouse then head over to Twin Peaks Orchard. We will continue on to Newcastle Produce/Twin Brooks Farm followed by lunch and beer tastings at Loomis Basin Smokehouse and Brewery.
We will also host the following events through the end of September:
- San Joaquin Tour– Wednesday, August 23- a bus tour to Fiscalini Cheese Company, Sparrow Lane Vinegars, and Nicalou Cheese.
- Jim Mills Retirement Party at Del Rio Botanical- Sunday, August 27 from 11am-2pm.
- Delta Tour- Wednesday, September 6- a bus your to Ron Kelley U-Pick Farm. We will then head to Heringer Estates in Clarksburg to explore the vineyards and learn how grapes are grown and harvested, followed by a wine tasting at the Old Sugar Mill. The day will end at Revolution Wines for lunch ending with a Cordillera Chocolate tasting with port.
- Sonoma County Cheese Tour– Thursday, September 14- a bus tour to Cowgirl Creamery and Tomales Bay Foods for a tasting of their complete line.