STILLWATER ORCHARD PEARS
Local pear season is upon us with peak season lasting the next several weeks. The Delta region is known to produce some of the best pears in the world. Stillwater Orchards, located next to the Sacramento River in the town of Courtland, has been owned and operated by the Elliot family since 1860. They takes pride in producing some of the most flavorful pears. The Elliott family grows, packs, and ships on site ensuring the highest quality standards.
We are currently offering the following varieties:
- Delta Bartletts- classic summer pears that are sweet and juicy with buttery flesh and distinct aroma. 40# case or pound.
- Stark Crimson– this colorful red pear has the same characteristics as the Bartlett. When fully ripe, the skin is at its brightest. 20# case or pound.
- Bosc– the most popular dessert pear, excellent for baking. The Bosc pear shows no skin color change during ripening, but shrivels at the stem instead. 40# case or pound.
- Seckel– an excellent dessert pear, small in size but big on sweetness. Skin does not change color but softens around the stem when ripe. Great served with cheese or baked into tarts. 20# case only.
- French Butter– juicy, buttery flesh with hints of lemon. A great baking pear. 20# case only.
- Comice– its very juicy-creamy flesh has a winey aroma and is one of the sweetest and juiciest pear varieties. 20# case.
Make those menu changes now and enjoy the best of the season!
LOCAL FIGS ARE BACK
We have a fresh harvest from Windmill Farm, a 200 acre farm in Yolo County just outside of Woodland, CA. This week we offer the following varieties:
- Black Mission– dark purple skin with ‘jammy’ flesh. Sold by the 12 pint case, or by the pint.
- Kadota– green skin with sweet raspberry-like flesh. Available in a 12 pint case.
- Viololette de Bordeaux- resembles a small Mission Fig with thin purple skin and sweet, creamy red interior. Available in a 12 pint case.
- Candy Stripe– light yellow and green-striped skin with crimson-colored flesh and a flavor similar to that of strawberry or raspberry jam. This variety is considered to be one of the best tasting of all figs. Available in a 12 pint case.
Enjoy the harvest!
summer of farm-to-fork
Thank you to everyone who participated in, or attended, our recent Farmer's Market, tastings, and bus tours. We love spending the day with you all celebrating local farmers, growers, suppliers, and chefs that make Sacramento America’s Farm-to-Fork Capital. Check out pictures of our recent events on our Facebook page.
The fun continues with the San Joaquin Tour on Wednesday, August 23. We will begin the tour at Fiscalini Cheese Company to taste a variety of cheeses. We will continue on to a second tasting at Nicolau Farms Artisan Cheese and Sparrow Lane Vinegars where the Nicolau family will prepare a delicious picnic on the farm for us. We will meet at the Produce Express warehouse at 8:45am for coffee and pastries, leaving at 9am and returning by around 3pm.
We will also host the following events through the end of September:
- Jim Mills Retirement Party at Del Rio Botanical- Sunday, August 27 from 11am-2pm. Please join us to help celebrate all that Jim Mills has done for Sacramento restaurants and farms. Please save the date and help us spread the word. Light snacks and refreshments will be served.
- Delta Tour- Wednesday, September 6- a bus your to Ron Kelley U-Pick Farm. We will then head to Heringer Estates in Clarksburg to explore the vineyards and learn how grapes are grown and harvested, followed by a wine tasting at the Old Sugar Mill. The day will end at Revolution Wines for lunch ending with a Cordillera Chocolate tasting with port.
- Sonoma County Cheese Tour– Thursday, September 14- a bus tour to Cowgirl Creamery and Tomales Bay Foods for a tasting of their complete line.