mo ribbon

f2f logo

• pe logo

fall farmer's market

wednesday, october 25 from 10am-1pm

Join us for a delicious day celebrating the seasonal bounty from dozens of local farmers and producers. We will feature a new line-up of chefs and restaurants who will be teamed with a local farm or specialty purveyor to create bites that highlight the heavy hitters of fall such as pomegranates, apples, squash and much more. Plus, your favorite specialty purveyors such as California Olive Ranch, La Tourangelle Nut Oils, and much more will be here! As with our summer market, this is a great opportunity to support your local farmers, to see and taste the bounty of the season, and talk to the hard working farmers who grew it!

The Farmer’s Market is open to all restaurant employees. We hope you take advantage of this great opportunity to educate yourself, and encourage your staff, to learn more about the ingredients that you prepare and serve daily. This event is also a great opportunity to see what your fellow chefs around town are up to. If you are a restaurant or chef who would like to participate, please contact your sales representative directly, or inside sales at (916) 956-5536 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.! We look forward to seeing you there!

View pictures from all our recent events & tours HERE.

Scott Talks Apples

Produce Express sales rep Scott Rose all things local apples!

It's a great time of year to head out to Apple Hill! Here's a sample of apples thanks to our good friends at Larsen Apple Barn.

• Braeburn - beautiful, crisp fresh
  • Granny Smith - workhorse, good for pies
  • Rome Apple - flesh is very creamy, great for salads
  • Pippen - making applesauce
  • Fuji - every day apple, school lunch

Summer produce update

August is widely hailed as the peak month for summer produce. In terms of both quality and quantity, all manner of local and seasonal fruits and vegetables are available during this month. Local Figs are back, with the following varieties coming from Windmill Farms in Woodland and Del Rio Botanical in West Sacramento- Black Mission, Kadota, Violette, and Candy/Tiger Stripe. Several varieties of local pears are coming from Stillwater Orchards including Stark Crimson, Delta Bartletts, Bosc, Seckel, French Butter, and Comice. While local pears are typically available into the early winter months thanks to the wonders of cold storage, they are at their peak during August and September.

After gapping for the last two weeks, fresh beans are again available from Dwelley Farms- Blue Lake Beans, Yellow Wax Beans, Romano Beans, French Green Beans. Dwelley Farms is also providing Yellow and White Corn. Twin Peaks Orchard still has Yellow Peaches and White Nectarines available, while White Peaches and Yellow Nectarines are now coming from J&J Ramos Farms. Plump and juicy Plums and Pluots are also coming from J&J. Ron Kelley Farms is supplying beautiful heirloom melons in a mixed case, or single varieties including Ambrosia, Crème de la Crème, Twice as Nice, and Savor. Black Seedless Watermelon & conventional Seedless are coming from Vierra Farms.

Riverdog Farms has a wonderful variety of sweet peppers– Jimmy Nardellos, Gypsy, Pimento, Lipstick, and Padrons- available in single varieties or as a mixed case. Riverdog is also supplying Heirloom Eggplant varieties– Graffiti, Rosa Bianca, and Listada– available in a mixed case, or a single variety. Local Summer Squash varieties are still available from Castaneda Bros. Produce and Maciel Farms. Del Rio Botanical has a wonderful variety of Heirloom Cucumbers available, and we still have several varieties of Heirloom Tomatoes from Ray Yeung. Enjoy!

cowgirl creamery

We are proud to offer two exceptional and highly coveted cheeses from Cowgirl Creamery- Mt. Tam and Red Hawk. Both cheeses are made in limited quantities and are strictly allocated- we are only allowed a small percentage of what is produced. Cowgirl Creamery started in 1997 by Sue Conley and Peggy Smith, who had established careers in some of San Francisco’s most famous kitchens. Mt. Tam is their most popular cheese and named for a Northern California landmark- the majestic Mt. Tamalpais. It is a bloomy rind cheese with a creamy, buttery flavor and smooth texture. It is available by the 10oz piece and should be used within 3 weeks. Red Hawk is unique in that it cannot be made anywhere else in the world because the wild bacteria that defines this bold, sumptuous triple cream are native to Point Reyes. Aged four weeks and washed with a brine solution that encourages the red-orange rind, the pungent aromas complement its rich, smooth flavor. 12oz piece. Join us for a tasting & cheese making demo at Cowgirl Creamery & Tomales Bay Foods on Thursday, September 14! See our events page for details!

a note from jim mills

Hello all. You may have noticed announcements in the past several weeks that I am retiring. After over 18 years, my last day at Produce Express will be Friday, August 25. Over the last several months, I have often been asked why I am retiring and the reasons are two: because I am 70 years old, and because I can. I don't need to, I don't have to, but I am going to. Except for a few listless semesters in college, I have been working since I was 17. If you do the math, that is 53 years and to me that is enough. I am then asked about what I am going to do when I retire and my response is that I am taking September and October off. I am told that by then I will be bored. So, if you have something you want me to do, get a hold of me around November 1 at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. I am fortunate in that I have a few good friends, a son that I am close with, a comfortable home, and, most importantly of all, a very caring wife. I wish to thank the Boyce family, in particular Jim Boyce, for the opportunity to work for Produce Express. I wish to thank the local farmers that I have met, and the multitude of restaurant chefs that I have developed relationships with through the years. And a huge shout out to the excellent Produce Express sales team! Enjoy the harvest!

summer of farm-to-fork

Thank you to everyone who participated in, or attended, our recent Farmer's Market, tastings, and bus tours. We love spending the day with you all celebrating local farmers, growers, suppliers, and chefs that make Sacramento America’s Farm-to-Fork Capital. Check out pictures of our recent events on our Facebook page.

We will be throwing a party in honor of Jim Mills and his upcoming retirement on Sunday, August 27 from 11am-2pm at Del Rio Botanical. Please join us to celebrate Jim's dedication to Sacramento's restaurant and farming communities for over 20 years! The address is 20030 Old River Road, West Sacramento, CA 95691. 

We have for two more events for this summer series:

• Delta Tour- Wednesday, September 6- a bus your to Ron Kelley U-Pick Farm. We will then head to Heringer Estates in Clarksburg to explore the vineyards and learn how grapes are grown and harvested, followed by a wine tasting at the Old Sugar Mill. The day will end at Revolution Wines for lunch ending with a Cordillera Chocolate tasting with port. 
  • Sonoma County Cheese Tour– Thursday, September 14- a bus tour to Cowgirl Creamery and Tomales Bay Foods for a tasting of their complete line. 

All events are compliments of Produce Express with transportation & lunch provided. Space is limited, please reserve your seat today by contacting inside sales at (916) 956-5536 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

frog hollow group

end of an era

a note from jim mills

Hello all. You may have noticed announcements in the past several weeks that I am retiring. After over 18 years, my last day at Produce Express was Friday, August 25. Over the last several months, I have often been asked why I am retiring, and the reasons are two: because I am 70 years old, and because I can. I don't need to, I don't have to, but I am going to.

Except for a few listless semesters in college, I have been working since I was 17. If you do the math, that is 53 years and to me that is enough. I am then asked about what I am going to do when I retire and my response is that I am taking September and October off. I am told that by then I will be bored. So, if you have something you want me to do, get a hold of me around November 1 at jimmills@frontiernet.net.

I am fortunate in that I have a few good friends, a son that I am close with, a comfortable home, and, most importantly of all, a very caring wife. I wish to thank the Boyce family, in particular Jim Boyce, for the opportunity to work for Produce Express. I wish to thank the local farmers that I have met, and the multitude of restaurant chefs that I have developed relationships with through the years. And a huge shout out to the excellent Produce Express sales team! Enjoy the harvest!

Produce Express
      8340 Belvedere Ave
      Sacramento CA, 95826 USA

phone: (916) 446-8918
      fax: (916) 553-3030

Follow us

• Contact us