mo ribbon

f2f logo

• pe logo

fall farmer's market

wednesday, october 25 from 10am-1pm

Join us for a delicious day celebrating the seasonal bounty from dozens of local farmers and producers. We will feature a new line-up of chefs and restaurants who will be teamed with a local farm or specialty purveyor to create bites that highlight the heavy hitters of fall such as pomegranates, apples, squash and much more. Plus, your favorite specialty purveyors such as California Olive Ranch, La Tourangelle Nut Oils, and much more will be here! As with our summer market, this is a great opportunity to support your local farmers, to see and taste the bounty of the season, and talk to the hard working farmers who grew it!

The Farmer’s Market is open to all restaurant employees. We hope you take advantage of this great opportunity to educate yourself, and encourage your staff, to learn more about the ingredients that you prepare and serve daily. This event is also a great opportunity to see what your fellow chefs around town are up to. If you are a restaurant or chef who would like to participate, please contact your sales representative directly, or inside sales at (916) 956-5536 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.! We look forward to seeing you there!

View pictures from all our recent events & tours HERE.

Scott Talks Apples

Produce Express sales rep Scott Rose all things local apples!

It's a great time of year to head out to Apple Hill! Here's a sample of apples thanks to our good friends at Larsen Apple Barn.

• Braeburn - beautiful, crisp fresh
  • Granny Smith - workhorse, good for pies
  • Rome Apple - flesh is very creamy, great for salads
  • Pippen - making applesauce
  • Fuji - every day apple, school lunch

fiscalini farmstead cheese

The Fiscalini’s immigrated from Switzerland in 1912 and settled on 160 acres in Modesto where they have farmed since. Four generations later their farm has grown to include 540 acres, a herd of 2800 dairy cows, and a farmstead cheese processing plant. Unlike the original Fiscalini land that supported a single-family home, today you will find the homes of 3 generations scattered across their property. All of their craftsman cheeses are made by hand using the milk from the cattle they raise. We are pleased to offer the following Fiscalini Cheeses:

• San Joaquin Gold- an Italian style cheddar aged 12 months. The cheese is mildly sweet and mellow when young and develops a darker golden hue and nuttier flavor over time. Its flesh is firm and granular with hints of toasted nuts and browned butter, a pleasant acidity and sweetness. 7# piece.
  • Lionza– a Swiss style cheese aged six months, and named after the tiny village high in the Swiss Alps that the Fiscalinis called home for more than 300 years. It is lightly straw colored with a few irregular eyes. It has a thin natural rind, a sweet milk caramel-like flavor, and a semi-soft texture. 6# piece.
  • Smoked Cheddar– their traditional award winning cheddar is smoked using a blend of local apple, cherry, and hickory wood chips to create a natural smoke that saturates the cheese. This cheese even has distinct markings left behind from the racks of the smoker and an enchanting caramel color. 5# piece.
  • Scamorza- Italian-spun paste cheese named for its pear shape. It is a semi-soft white cheese made from pasteurized cow’s milk with a texture similar to a firm, dry mozzarella, but with more elasticity and less moisture. Scamorza melts well, and has the taste of sweet milk and light cream. 9oz piece.
  • Smoked Scamorza- CA State Fair Gold medal winner. A blend of apple, cherry, and hickory wood chips, naturally smoke this cheese leaving it with a milky, creamy finish and smoky, sweet caramel flavor. 9oz piece.

del rio cucumbers

Del Rio Botanical, located along the Sacramento River in West Sacramento, is well known amongst Sacramento chefs for its unique and diverse crops, grown exclusively for Produce Express for over 15 years. The featured item from Del Rio this week is a wonderful variety of heirloom cucumbers offered in a 10# mixed case (single varieties also available in 10# cases with a pre-order):

• Persian– sweet flesh with an even crunch and true cucumber flavor. It has light ridged, thin skin, and is relatively small and straight.
  • Armenian– sweet flesh with a mild, citric flavor. They are pale green in color, ridged, thin-skinned, and slender with a unique curved shape.
  • Lemon– excellent flavor that is a bit sweeter, and less bitter, than normal cucumbers. A baseball sized cucumber with a beautiful yellow skin and pale flesh.
  • Citronee- very similar to lemon cucumbers but with fuzzy skin and smaller seeds.
  • West Indian Gherkin– these unique looking cukes are round and covered in edible dull “spikes”. Their flavor is mild, lacking the strong bitterness of some green cucumbers.

Del Rio also has the first harvest of pomegranates available in red and pale pink. See the local farm availability page for full availability. Enjoy the harvest!

final summer farm tours

Our Farm to Fork Summer Event Series will soon come to an end. We have two more events scheduled and would love to see you. This is a great opportunity to learn more about where your food comes from, how its grown, by whom, and why its so important to support our local farmers and producers. We encourage you to bring your staff, both front and back of house.

We have for two more events for this summer series:

• Delta Tour- Wednesday, September 6- a bus your to Ron Kelley U-Pick Farm. We will then head to Heringer Estates in Clarksburg to explore the vineyards and learn how grapes are grown and harvested, followed by a wine tasting at the Old Sugar Mill. The day will end at Revolution Wines for lunch ending with a Cordillera Chocolate tasting with port. 
  • Sonoma County Cheese TourThursday, September 14- a bus tour to Cowgirl Creamery and Tomales Bay Foods for a tasting of their complete line. 

As a thank you to our customers, all events are compliments of Produce Express with transportation & lunch provided. Space is limited, please reserve your seat today by contacting inside sales at (916) 956-5536 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Thank you to everyone who participated in, or attended, our summer Farmer's Market, tastings, and bus tours. We love spending the day with you all celebrating local farmers, growers, suppliers, and chefs that make Sacramento America’s Farm-to-Fork Capital. Check out pictures of our recent events on our Facebook page. 

end of an era

a note from jim mills

Hello all. You may have noticed announcements in the past several weeks that I am retiring. After over 18 years, my last day at Produce Express was Friday, August 25. Over the last several months, I have often been asked why I am retiring, and the reasons are two: because I am 70 years old, and because I can. I don't need to, I don't have to, but I am going to.

Except for a few listless semesters in college, I have been working since I was 17. If you do the math, that is 53 years and to me that is enough. I am then asked about what I am going to do when I retire and my response is that I am taking September and October off. I am told that by then I will be bored. So, if you have something you want me to do, get a hold of me around November 1 at jimmills@frontiernet.net.

I am fortunate in that I have a few good friends, a son that I am close with, a comfortable home, and, most importantly of all, a very caring wife. I wish to thank the Boyce family, in particular Jim Boyce, for the opportunity to work for Produce Express. I wish to thank the local farmers that I have met, and the multitude of restaurant chefs that I have developed relationships with through the years. And a huge shout out to the excellent Produce Express sales team! Enjoy the harvest!

Produce Express
      8340 Belvedere Ave
      Sacramento CA, 95826 USA

phone: (916) 446-8918
      fax: (916) 553-3030

Follow us

• Contact us