mo ribbon

f2f logo

• pe logo

fall farmer's market

wednesday, october 25 from 10am-1pm

Join us for a delicious day celebrating the seasonal bounty from dozens of local farmers and producers. We will feature a new line-up of chefs and restaurants who will be teamed with a local farm or specialty purveyor to create bites that highlight the heavy hitters of fall such as pomegranates, apples, squash and much more. Plus, your favorite specialty purveyors such as California Olive Ranch, La Tourangelle Nut Oils, and much more will be here! As with our summer market, this is a great opportunity to support your local farmers, to see and taste the bounty of the season, and talk to the hard working farmers who grew it!

The Farmer’s Market is open to all restaurant employees. We hope you take advantage of this great opportunity to educate yourself, and encourage your staff, to learn more about the ingredients that you prepare and serve daily. This event is also a great opportunity to see what your fellow chefs around town are up to. If you are a restaurant or chef who would like to participate, please contact your sales representative directly, or inside sales at (916) 956-5536 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.! We look forward to seeing you there!

View pictures from all our recent events & tours HERE.

Scott Talks Apples

Produce Express sales rep Scott Rose all things local apples!

It's a great time of year to head out to Apple Hill! Here's a sample of apples thanks to our good friends at Larsen Apple Barn.

• Braeburn - beautiful, crisp fresh
  • Granny Smith - workhorse, good for pies
  • Rome Apple - flesh is very creamy, great for salads
  • Pippen - making applesauce
  • Fuji - every day apple, school lunch

Fall Farmer's market

Many of you have been asking about when our next Farmer’s Market will take place and we are happy to announce that the wait is over! Save the date and join us on Wednesday, October 25 from 10am-1pm for a delicious day celebrating the seasonal bounty from dozens of local farmers and producers. We will feature a new line-up of chefs and restaurants who will be teamed with a local farm or specialty purveyor to create bites that highlight the heavy hitters of fall such as pomegranates, apples, squash and much more. Plus, your favorite specialty purveyors such as California Olive Ranch, La Tourangelle Nut Oils, and much more will be here! As with our summer market, this is a great opportunity to support your local farmers, to see and taste the bounty of the season, and talk to the hard working farmers who grew it!

The Farmer’s Market is open to all restaurant employees. We hope you take advantage of this great opportunity to educate yourself, and encourage your staff, to learn more about the ingredients that you prepare and serve daily. This event is also a great opportunity to see what your fellow chefs around town are up to. If you are a restaurant or chef who would like to participate, please contact your sales representative directly, or inside sales at (916) 956-5536 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.! We look forward to seeing you there!

larsen apple barn

apple grilled cheese 300x200Local apple season has arrived with the first harvest coming from Larsen Apple Barn, the oldest, continuously family-owned farm in Apple Hill. This week we have Gala apples, Golden apples, and Asian Pears available, with more varieties to come as the season goes on. When placing your orders, please specify “Apple Hill” and the variety. This week we are offering the following from Larsen Apple Barn:

• Asian Pears (Hosui)- large and round with russet brown skin, rich and sweet flavor with a brandy aroma, and refreshing, crisp flavor. ‘Hosui’ means ‘abundant juice’. These “Asian apples” may be grilled or roasted, and are good for use in salads, cheese plates, and desserts. Sold by the 10# case.
  • Galas- not the best baking apples, but are great for salads, eating raw, or using for applesauce. Their dense flesh is creamy, yellow, and crisp. Available in a 10# case or a 40# case.
  • Golden Delicious- a versatile apple that is great for multiple uses, especially for cooking and baking into tarts or pies. Its balanced sweetness and acidity makes for a great pairing with savory items, as well as being excellent in salads or applesauce. Available in a 40# case. Enjoy the harvest!

lundberg family farms
Rice & quinoa

lundberg rice 300x300A fourth-generation owned and operated farm, the Lundberg family has been growing healthy, great tasting rice in Butte County since 1937. Since the beginning, the Lundberg family has practiced sustainable and eco-positive farming, respecting the delicate balance of importance resources like soil, air, and water. All of their products are “Eco-Farmed”- a method that blends organic practices and integrated pest management techniques with minimal use of synthetic fertilizers, herbicides, and pesticides, only as needed. Many of their products are also Certified Organic, meaning they are grown, handled, and processed in accordance with the USDA National Organic Program.

Their organic acreage is now close to 75% of all acreage grown. Whether Eco-Farmed or Organic, Lundberg Family Farms pursues a positive program of ecological stewardship with practices such as crop rotation, water-conserving irrigation, never growing genetically engineered rice varieties, and much more. The majority of their rice comes from California, with the exception of wild rice. When the available rice supply in California cannot meet the demand, Lundberg works with grower and processor partners located in the Southern United States.

We are proud to offer the following from Lundberg Family Farms:

• White Arborio- signature Lundberg rice; great for risotto and rice recipes that create a creamy, chewy texture. 6/2 pound case.
  •  Wehani– honey-red grains with a distinct aroma and an irresistible nutty flavor. 6/1 pound case.
  • Black Japonica– juicy with a nutty, mushroom-like flavor energized with an exotic sweet spiciness. A whole grain brown rice blend of short grain black rice & medium grain mahogany rice from Japanese seeds. 6/1 pound case.
  • Long-Grain Brown– famous for its full flavor and nutrition; a natural whole grain rice with nothing but the husk removed. Yields a drier, fluffy product. 6/2 pound case.
  • Jasmine– aromatic long grain rice, moist and tender with a soft texture & delicious flavor. 6/2 pound case.
  • Basmati– long grain aromatic rice with the fragrance of Indian Basmati; a great choice when a fluffy, drier texture and exotic aroma is desired. 6/2 pound case.
  • Organic White Sushi Rice– a classic Japanese short grain white rice grown especially for Sushi. It is truly superb in traditional Sushi rolls, salads, and other Asian dishes. 6/2 pound case.
  • Organic Long Grain White Rice– long grain white rice enjoys great popularity because, after cooking, the grains remain fluffy and separate. Because of these properties, long grain white rice is especially suitable in stuffings, pilafs, salads, casseroles & stir-fry dishes. 6/2 pound case.
  • Organic Tri-Color Blend Quinoa- white, brown, red, and black seeds, each with their own unique texture and savory, nutty flavor when cooked. 6/1 pound case.

end of an era

a note from jim mills

Hello all. You may have noticed announcements in the past several weeks that I am retiring. After over 18 years, my last day at Produce Express was Friday, August 25. Over the last several months, I have often been asked why I am retiring, and the reasons are two: because I am 70 years old, and because I can. I don't need to, I don't have to, but I am going to.

Except for a few listless semesters in college, I have been working since I was 17. If you do the math, that is 53 years and to me that is enough. I am then asked about what I am going to do when I retire and my response is that I am taking September and October off. I am told that by then I will be bored. So, if you have something you want me to do, get a hold of me around November 1 at jimmills@frontiernet.net.

I am fortunate in that I have a few good friends, a son that I am close with, a comfortable home, and, most importantly of all, a very caring wife. I wish to thank the Boyce family, in particular Jim Boyce, for the opportunity to work for Produce Express. I wish to thank the local farmers that I have met, and the multitude of restaurant chefs that I have developed relationships with through the years. And a huge shout out to the excellent Produce Express sales team! Enjoy the harvest!

Produce Express
      8340 Belvedere Ave
      Sacramento CA, 95826 USA

phone: (916) 446-8918
      fax: (916) 553-3030

Follow us

• Contact us