Stillwater Orchards is located next to the Sacramento River in the town of Courtland– an area known to produce some of the best pears in the world. The land has been owned and operated by the Elliot family since 1860. The Elliotts take pride in producing some of the most flavorful pears, and they grow, pack, and ship on site to ensure the highest quality standards. We are pleased to offer the following varieties:
- Delta Bartletts- sweet and juicy with buttery flesh and distinct aroma. Their wonderful flavor and smooth texture make Bartletts a wonderful addition to salads, pizzas, jams, pies and galettes, or simply add to a cheese board. 40# case, piece, or pound.
- Red Bartlett– same characteristics as the Bartlett but with beautiful red skin. 20# case, piece or pound.
- Bosc– one of the most useful varieties for cooking. A ripe Bosc will still be firm and dense, with tender, sweet honey flesh that is rich and aromatic. 40# case, pound, or piece.
- Comice- its very juicy, creamy flesh has an aroma reminiscent of wine and is one of the sweetest and juiciest pear varieties. 20# case.
- French Butter- juicy, buttery flesh with hints of lemon; a great baking pear. 20# case only.
- Seckel- an excellent dessert pear, small in size but big on sweetness. Skin does not change color but softens around the stem when ripe. Great served with cheese or baked into tarts. 20# case only.
Local asian pears
Resembling a cross between a pear and an apple, Asian pears are firm, crunchy, and very juicy with flavor ranging from tart to sweet depending on the variety. This week, we are excited to offer the Hosui variety from Twin Peaks Orchard, located in Newcastle, CA. Hosui means “abundant juice”- a characteristic that contributes to the Hosui being the leading Asian pear variety in California. It is large and round with brown skin, rich and sweet flavor, and an aroma similar to brandy. Asian Pears have an excellent shelf life, keeping up to a month when refrigerated properly. Asian Pears may be enjoyed peeled or unpeeled, and make an excellent addition to salads and pizzas, and are delicious blended into sauces and dressing, baked, poached, and more!
- Tasting Tuesday featuring Local Specialty Cheeses & Paragary Pasta– Tuesday, September 11 • 10am-1pm: we will have cheese reps here from Nicolau Farms, Fiscalini Farmstead, Orland Farms Creamery, Sierra Nevada Cheese Co. and more. We will also have Laurel with Paragary Bakery here cooking up their fresh pasta with cheese from Nicolau Farms. Join us and find the perfect cheese for your next banquet or cheese board. There will also be an awesome free raffle giveaway!
- Apple Hill Tour with Barsotti Juice Co., Larsen Apple Barn, and Mai Farms– Monday, September 24 • 8am-3pm: Our local apple season is almost here! Join us for an exciting tour up to Apple Hill to see the bottling process at Barsotti Juice, explore the orchards at Larsen Apple Barn, and learn about Mai Farm- a new farm we are partnering with for a variety of crops. We will meet at Produce Express at 8AM and return by around 3PM. Transportation and lunch is provided.
- Fall Farmer’s Market– Wednesday, November 7: don’t miss the fun! Save the date on your calendar now!