The first varieties of local apples have arrived! Our local apples come from Larsen Apple Barn in Camino, CA– a region nicknamed Apple Hill and known for its rich soil and crisp mountain climate. Larsen Apple Barn was founded in the 1860’s by the Larsen family and continues to be the oldest, continuously family-owned farm in Apple Hill. We are pleased to offer the following with more varieties to follow as the season progresses:
- Gala– red skin over a pale yellow background and creamy flesh that is yellow and crisp. Galas are mildly sweet in flavor and are best for salads, eating raw, or used for applesauce; not the best for baking. Available in a 10# case or 40# case.
- Golden Delicious- a versatile apple that is great for multiple uses, especially for cooking and baking into tarts or pies. Its balanced sweetness and acidity makes for a great pairing with savory items, as well as being excellent in salads or applesauce. Available in a 40# case only.
- Jonathan– a medium-sized sweet apple that is firm with smooth, thin red skin with blushes of yellow and green. While they are sweet, Jonathan apples tend to have a slight tartness and hints of spice. They are delicious with both sweet and savory applications. Available in a 40# case only.
stillwater orchard delta pears
Stillwater Orchards is located next to the Sacramento River in the town of Courtland– an area known to produce some of the best pears in the world. We are pleased to offer the following varieties:
- Delta Bartlett- sweet and juicy with buttery flesh. Their flavor and smooth texture make Bartlett pears a great addition to salads, pizzas, jams, pies and galettes, or simply add to a cheese board. 40# case, piece, or pound.
- Red Star Crimson– similar to a Bartlett but with beautiful red skin. 20# case, piece or pound.
- Bosc– great for a variety of applications. A ripe Bosc will still be firm and dense with tender, sweet honey flesh that is rich andaromatic. 40# case, pound, or piece.
- Comice– one of the sweetest and juiciest varieties with creamy flesh and an aroma reminiscent of wine. 20# case.
- French Butter- juicy, buttery flesh with hints of lemon; a great baking pear. 20# case only.
- Seckel- an excellent dessert pear, small in size but big on sweetness. Great served with cheese or baked into tarts. 20# case only.
point reyes farmstead cheese co.
At Point Reyes, every stage of the cheese making process is managed on the farm; from birthing, raising, and milking the cows to aging the cheese. Bob and Dean Giacomini purchased the dairy farm on Tomales Bay in 1959 because of the land’s lush rye grass and crisp, pristine air. By the mid-1990’s, they had earned a reputation for producing very high quality milk. Eventually, the next generation of Giacomini’s decided to transition the family business from a dairy to an artisan farmstead cheese making facility. The first wheels of Original Blue (California’s only classic style blue cheese) were introduced in August of 2000 and the rest is history. We are pleased to offer the following cheeses from Point Reyes:
- Original Blue– creamy texture and bold flavor, with hints of sweet milk, a peppery finish, and medium-strong blue flavor. Original Blue is wonderful as a stand-alone table cheese, for topping salads, melting onto burgers and steaks, mixing into pastas, and so much more. Rindless; aged 3.5 months. Available in a 6.5# wheel.
- Bay Blue– a rustic style blue cheese, reminiscent of Stilton; known for its mellow flavor and sweet, salted caramel finish. Its texture is almost fudge-like with a beautiful natural rind; aged 90 days. Bay Blue makes a delicious after-dinner cheese, especially when paired with a glass of Vintage Port or Barrel-Aged Scotch. Available in a 6# wheel.
- Toma– a semi-hard table cheese that is perfect for any occasion and a variety of dishes. It has a creamy, buttery flavor and texture with a grassy tangy finish. Toma is a great melting cheese; perfect for pasta, risotto, sandwiches, burgers, vegetables, soups, and more. It also balances out a hop-heavy beer beautifully! Available in a 10# wheel.
- Apple Hill Tour with Barsotti Juice Co., Larsen Apple Barn– Monday, September 24 • 8am-3pm: Our local apple season is almost here! Join us for an exciting tour up to Apple Hill to see the bottling process at Barsotti Juice and explore the orchards at Larsen Apple Barn. We will meet at Produce Express at 8AM and return by around 3PM. Transportation and lunch from Poor Red's will be provided.
- Fall Farmer’s Market– Wednesday, November 7: don’t miss the fun! Save the date on your calendar now! Want to participate as a featured restaurant? Contact your sales rep, or Marissa with inside sales (see contact info above).