fully belly farm
Full Belly Farm is a certified organic farm that grows over 80 different crops year-round. The farm was established in 1985 in the beautiful and fertile Capay Valley by the Muller family and their partners. The following “fall” items are just starting and will have limited availability until the season progresses.
- Dino/Lacinato Kale– an Italian heirloom variety of kale with dark green leaves that are heavily crinkled. It has a strong flavor that is rich, sweet and earthy. Young, tender leaves are best sautéed quickly. The larger leaves make great additions to soups and braises, and do well in a long, slow cooking process. Sold by the 12ct case only.
- Collard Greens– leathery green leaves with a very mild, almost smoky flavor. Collard Greens are best when slow cooked by braising or steaming and pair well with bacon or ham. Their sturdy texture also makes great wraps for stuffing. Sold by the bunch or a 12-bunch case.
- Green Chard– a hearty green with wavy, ruffled, dark green leaves growing from a pale white rib. Both the leaves and ribs can be eaten. Chard can be blanched, braised, sautéed or steamed and makes an excellent addition to soups. The bitterness fades as it is cooked. Sold by the bunch or a 12 bunch case.
new from SIERRA NEVADA CHEESE CO.
We are excited to offer the following new items from Sierra Nevada Cheese Company:
- Hatch Chile Jack– ultra creamy and smooth texture that melts beautifully with a pleasantly mild taste. Full of flavor without the spice! This would be a great cheese for chile con queso, chile rellenos, sandwiches, burgers, and more! Available in a 5# block.
- Crème Fraiche– made from local cream, rich in fat (about 40%), and cultured to a slightly nutty, tangy/tart flavor. Its texture is thick and silky. Unlike sour cream, crème fraiche does well with heat and cooking thanks to its higher fat content. It will not curdle, but it will melt making it ideal for soups, sauces and simmers. Spoon it in place of whipped cream over fruit, pies, pudding, or bake into desserts. Available by the quart.
We also offer a variety of exceptional cheeses from Sierra Nevada Cheese Co.: Aged Goat Cheddar, Organic White Cheddar Cheese, Chevre, Gina Marie Cream Cheese, Feta, Organic Smokehouse Jack, and Habanero Jack.
ELEGANT BEANS & BEYOND
Elegant Beans and Beyond has been producing certified organic heirloom dried beans in our area for over 20 years. We were saddened late last year to hear that the founder, Chip Morris, passed away suddenly. The company continues to be operated by his wife, Bobbie, and a staff of loyal employees. Elegant Beans and Beyond recently received the Slow Food Sacramento Snail of Approval award for their dedication to promoting good, clean and fair food. Three of the beans Chip grows (Jacobs Cattle, Christmas Lima & Hidatsu Red) have been placed on Slow Food USA’s Ark of Taste, a catalogue of delicious and distinctive foods facing extinction. The individual varieties vary in size, shape, color and texture. The following varieties are available in 5# bags:
- Black Valentine– medium size black bean, turning purple-black when cooked. Meaty texture, nutty flavor, cooks quickly.
- Green Black-Eyed Peas– small, light green bean with distinctive black mark at sprouting point. Earthy sweet flavor & buttery texture. Used often in Caribbean/African cooking.
- Green Flageolet– small pale green bean used often in French cooking. Holds shape well when cooked.
- Hisatsu Red– a Native American bean originally from North Dakota. Nutty flavor, dark red color, medium size, and similar in texture to kidney beans.
- Jacob’s Cattle– plum, white and red speckled, kidney shaped bean. Full flavored with rich aroma. Holds shape under long cooking.
- Pebbles– colors ranging from white to black. Tender skin and mild flavors make an excellent salad bean.
- Runner Cannellini– large, flat white bean, popular in Italian and Greek cuisines. Very smooth texture, full body, and nutty flavor.
- Snow Cap– beautiful bean with white and tan coloring and creamy texture. These beautiful beans retain markings after cooking.
- Sunset Runner– medium size purple and black bean with a creamy texture & distinct flavor. Excellent when used as a baked bean.
- Christmas Lima– large, flat bean, bicolor-cream with dark maroon splotches. They have a buttery texture and chestnut-like flavor.
- Black Calypso– distinct white & black markings with a delightful nutty, slightly onion flavor and texture that is more crumbly than creamy. Best for baking and soups; simmer slowly so they don’t break.
FALL DECORATIVE ITEMS NOW AVAILABLE!
Pumpkins, Ghourds, and Indian Corn are here! Call the office for details and pricing!
- Placer Grown Tour with Twin Peaks Orchard & Produce Alive– Monday, October 15 • 8am-2:30pm: join us to explore the citrus trees at Twin Peaks and learn about the hydroponic growing system at Produce Alive.
- Fall Farmer’s Market– Wednesday, November 7 • 10am-1pm: don’t miss the fun! Save the date on your calendar now! Want to participate as a featured restaurant? Contact your sales rep, or Marissa with inside sales (see contact info above).