Nantes are a French heirloom variety with smooth skin and an almost perfect cylindrical shape. Nantes are distinctly sweeter than other carrots and are rounded at the top and tip.
It is important to note that the arrival of spring occurred just two days ago. Just as important is to realize that this is the time to plant spring crops, not harvest these crops. While we are well into the season, other springtime crops, like fava beans and English peas, have not started locally. This week we feature a variety of local seasonal greens currently available from several local farms.
Braising greens are a diverse variety of leafy vegetables with fibrous leaves and assertive flavors that are usually cooked, or braised, to break down their texture, resulting in tender greens with a more flavorful bite. While most of these greens are available year round, they are primarily cool weather crops and usually at peak quality and flavor during the fall and winter months.
- Chards-Red, Green and Rainbow-Mostly from Capay. Large sturdy leaves with stem. 12 bunch/$14.75
- Savoy/Bloomsdale Spinach-New crop from Full Belly Farms. 4 lb/$20.75
- Braising Mix-An organic mix from Del Rio, very fresh, flavorful. $20.75.
- Mustard Greens-Strong flavor, meant for long braise. 12 bunch/$14.75
- Lacinato/Dino Kale, Italian heirloom variety.12 bunch/ $17.75.
- Colard Greens-Leathery leaves become flavorful with slow cooking. 12 bunch/$14.75
Clover Stornetta products start with milk sourced from a small group of family farms that are spacious, regional ranches tending small herds in Marin, Sonoma and Mendocino counties. These dairy farmers practice methods of sustainable agriculture and have an extraordinary commitment to animal welfare with no 'feedlot' living. To this effect, Clover Stornetta Farms has been honored by the American Humane Association as the first dairy in the United States awarded the American Humane Certified label for humanely produced dairy products. In addition, the farmers do not use rBST, the genetically en-gineered bovine growth hormone that stimulates milk production. Produce Express is proud to offer the following Clover Stornetta dairy products.
- Whole Milk
- 2% Reduced Fat Milk
- Fat Free Milk
- Heavy Whipping Cream-40% butterfat
- Half and Half
- Organic Eggs
- Cottage Cheese, small curd
- Low Fat Yogurt, Plain
- Sour Cream-5#
- Butter-Salted and Unsalted